What Size Water Bottle Should I Get and How Do I Choose?
What size water bottle you should get depends on how much water you want daily. I recommend starting with 32 oz for adults, 20 oz for kids and teens, and 16 oz for toddlers.Last Updated on November 8, 2023 by Tina Shao
The answer to this question depends on how much water you have and how many times you want to drink per day. If you want a quick response, I recommend starting with 32 oz for adults, 20 oz for kids and teens, and 16 oz for toddlers.
What size of a water bottle should l get?
The answer to this question is to know how much water we need daily.
Water is an essential nutrient in your diet. It helps regulate body temperature and remove waste from your body. If you don’t get enough water, you can become dehydrated—and that’s no fun!
The average human needs about 10 cups of water per day. That’s about 69oz and 2.7 liters—but let’s face it: Who wants to carry around a gallon jug of water all day?
If you’re unsure how much water suits you, add the cups you drink daily (including caffeinated beverages). Then, decide how much more than that amount will work for your lifestyle.
Also, what size of water bottle you should get depends on a few different factors:
How much do you want to carry?
The size of your water bottle will depend on how much you want to carry. If you plan on having your bottle with you but don’t want it too big or heavy, a smaller bottle is probably best for you.
However, if weight is not an issue and you need something more significant that holds more water, a larger size would work better for your needs. Some large insulated containers are cumbersome and can be challenging to fit into purses/backpacks with small compartments.
How much liquid do you need at any given time?
The bottle size will also depend on how much liquid you need at any given time. For instance, if someone likes drinking small amounts throughout the day (e.g., three 8-ounce glasses per day), they might want a smaller-sized container like a 20-ounce insulated bottle.
What’s the activity you’re taking part in?
- If you’re an athlete or work outside, you might need to refill your bottle more often than someone who works from home. If this is the case, a larger container would be ideal.
- On the other hand, if you only drink half a glass at work and one at home every day, it’s probably not necessary to buy something overly large to hold all that extra water in your fridge or car cup holder.
- Your water bottle size depends on your needs and the activity you’re participating in. If you’re out for a short time, such as running errands, a small (about 16 oz) or medium-sized (about 24 oz) water bottle is probably fine. Similarly, if you only exercise for an hour or two, something 12 to 20 ounces should suffice.
- If you’ll be active for more than four hours and have limited opportunities to refill your bottle along the way (like backpacking), consider getting something larger than 24 ounces—32 ounces is standard among most outdoor enthusiasts.
- And if you plan on being active outdoors for hours or days without access to safe drinking water? You should probably bring enough for the whole trip!
Size of water bottles and their most common use
Let’s divide the water bottles into three types: small-sized(6-16 oz), medium-sized(18-30 ounces), and large-sized( 32 – 48 ounces) water bottles.
Small-sized water bottle: 6 to 16-ounce
A small water bottle(6-16 oz) is ideal for keeping in your handbag, backpack, or purse. These bottles are great for those who want to carry a small amount of water and need a bottle that’s easy to put in their pocket. It’s also great for kids and teens who need to stay hydrated throughout the day.
Smaller bottles are easier to store in tight spaces like desks and lockers at school or work, so they’re more convenient than larger ones if you can take them on the go.
However, if you drink more than this during your day, you may consider upgrading to a medium or large-sized water bottle.
Medium-sized water bottle: 18-30 ounce
This is the most common water bottle size among athletes, hikers, and any other active person on the go. The capacity is just suitable for someone who wants an extra source of hydration but doesn’t want them too big or heavy while they’re out enjoying their activity.
We recommend getting one between 18 and 30 ounces for medium-sized bottles. These bottles are ideal for everyday use and can easily fit into most standard backpacks or purses without causing discomfort during long trips. They offer more versatility than small ones while still compact enough to fit into places like backpacks or bags without too much trouble.
Large-sized water bottle: 32 – 48 ounces
Finally, there are large-sized containers ranging from 32–48 ounces, which tend to be more durable than their smaller counterparts.
These types are perfect for those who drink lots daily—especially when working outdoors under intense heat conditions (elevation/temperature).
Suppose this sounds like something you experience regularly. In that case, we recommend upgrading from mediums altogether because these kinds tend not to work well in those conditions due to their size preventing them from reaching high enough without spilling over onto yourself!
What size of water bottle is best?
If you’re looking to buy a water bottle, it is essential to consider your bottle size. You want to ensure the bottle fits in your hand and lasts a long day of work or exercise.
The rule of thumb is that 16-20-ounce bottles are great for everyday use as they don’t require frequent refills and can still fit into most cup holders.
The best size for you depends on your daily routine, but we think the best size is a water bottle in size 16-20 ounces.
Best water bottle size for different activities
- Best Water Bottle Size for Running: If you prefer running outdoors in groups or alone on trails, then 16 oz to 24 oz are the best water bottle sizes for running is probably best. This is because it fits easily into most backpacks and doesn’t take up much space.
- Best Water Bottle Size for Hiking/camping: 32 oz and 64 oz are the best water bottle sizes for hiking or camping. For more rugged adventures, opt for something bigger than what you would use for running—say, 32 oz—so that it stays better balanced when walking briskly.
- Best Water Bottle Size for Yoga: A 24-ounce bottle is the best size for yoga. A 24-ounce insulated bottle will work great here since its slim design means less weight without sacrificing space in other areas like your bag or gym locker room locker.
- The best water bottle size for dancing: 20 oz is perfect, especially if you like jazz and hip-hop!
- Best Water Bottle Size for School: A 24 oz bottle is ideal because it won’t take up too much room in your bag doesn’t take up too much space. 12oz or 16oz bottles work well because they’re small enough to fit inside lunch bags but big enough so that you don’t have to refill them often.
- Best Water Bottle Size for Work: If you work outside the office or spend most of your time on the road, having a 30oz water bottle makes sense because they’re easier to refill and holds more fluid than smaller bottles. Whether it’s an insulated bottle or stainless steel, this is worth considering!
- Best Water Bottle Size For Traveling: If traveling often has become part of your lifestyle, having something small enough for carry-on luggage but big enough to last throughout the day might be needed here. Something like 24 ounces would work best since many airlines allow liquids under 100 ml inside carry-on bags, meaning there should be no issues when boarding!
- Best Water Bottle Size Gym/Sports Training: 20oz is an excellent choice if you’re doing high-intensity training that lasts more than an hour. Otherwise, we recommend choosing a smaller size to avoid overloading your body with too much fluid.
How To Choose The Right Water Bottle Size？
The right water bottle should be easy to carry, refill, clean, and drink from.
- Easy to carry: Some people may prefer a smaller size of a 16 oz or 20 oz bottle, while others prefer the larger 32 oz or 40 oz sizes. It all comes down to personal preference and how much weight you want your backpack to carry on an average day of hiking or biking.
- Easy to refill: A wide mouth makes filling up your water bottle much easier because you can pour in liquids without worrying about spilling them everywhere—which means less waste! These types also tend not to get clogged as easily by debris like leaves floating inside, making them easier to clean too!
- Easy to clean: A wide mouth makes it easier to clean your water bottle because you can use just about any cleaning tool or materials from your kitchen. This means no more having to buy special brushes or tools for this purpose, saving you time and money in the long run.
Remember, you can always get more water. But it’s good to have at least one bottle that holds the water you need daily. If you are going on a hike or doing any activity where your water may not be readily available, a bigger bottle is an option!
FAQs About What Size Water Bottle Should I Get
What is the average bottle size?
The average bottle size is between 10 and 14 fl oz. These are the sizes in reusable water bottles, usually called “standard” or “regular” bottles.
If you’re using a reusable water bottle for sports or exercise, you may want to opt for a larger one that holds 20 fl. oz. or more to help keep you hydrated when you’re spending long periods in the sun or exercising vigorously.
Is an 18 oz water bottle big enough?
The 18-oz. water bottle is a good size for many people.
- If you want to carry it all day, it will easily fit in your purse or bag.
- It’s not too large, but it can hold enough water that you’ll not have to refill your cup all day. This size will be very comfortable if you want to carry it around and drink from it throughout the day.
- On the other hand, if you don’t need much liquid and would prefer something lighter or smaller, then, by all means, get a 12 oz or 16 oz bottle!
Is a 32 oz water bottle too big?
The 32-ounce size is a good choice if you want a water bottle that can be used for various purposes. It will be large enough to hold your drink but not so large that it becomes unwieldy or difficult to carry around.
If you are an avid hiker, runner, or cyclist and regularly need to carry liquid with you on your travels, this is the ideal size. You will also have room in your bag or backpack for other items.
If, however, you prefer to use your water bottle at home and want something convenient and easy to carry rather than bulkier alternatives such as insulated bottles, then perhaps the smaller sizes would be more suitable for this purpose.
Should I get a 64 oz water bottle?
A 64 oz water bottle is perfect for health-conscious people who want to hydrate themselves. The best thing about getting a large water bottle is that it will allow you to stay hydrated throughout the day and not have to worry about carrying multiple bottles with you all at once.
But those who don’t need to stay hydrated may find the size of this water bottle too big and the weight too heavy. Moreover, it’s also expensive and takes up too much space in your bag or car. The shape of the bottle makes it difficult to store in car cup holders or backpack pockets.
If you go for the 64 oz water bottle, but it’s just too big for your needs, there’s no need to despair. You can always downsize to a smaller one or find another more practical solution.