What Is An Insulated Lunch Box?
An insulated lunch box is a small, portable container used to bring food, typically to and from work or school.
Insulated lunch boxes are used daily to keep meals warm, dry, or fresh by people, from kids to children to teenagers to youth and adults.
The insulated lunch boxes also come in many sizes; we have a small lunch box, a large lunch box, a square lunch box, and an insulated lunch box with compartments. An essential thing to consider when selecting a lunch box is proper insulation.
How Do Insulated Lunch Boxes Work?
The insulated lunch boxes apply the principle same as the one used for the thermos flask, only that the thermos flask was meant to keep hot liquids hot. Many insulated lunch boxes, like the thermos flask, rely on the vacuum created between the inner and outer layers.
This vacuum prevents the energy from the food from being dissipated into the external environment. This helps the food maintain their respective temperatures where the cold and fresh food remains the same even after 4-5 hours, the hot food stays hot, and the dry food remains dry. The double-wall insulated lunch box also operates using this thermos principle.
What Are Insulated Lunch Boxes Made Of?
In most cases, it is formed of metal or plastic, or glass is reasonably airtight, and is usually equipped with a handle for carrying.
The exterior layer of an insulated lunch box's surface is made of Stainless steel and durable fabric such as polyester, nylon, or vinyl, which is difficult to rip or stain.
The thermally insulated lunch box's interior layer comprises water-resistant materials such as plastic, aluminum, foil liners, and vinyl. These common materials help keep food fresh, warm, and dry.
Stainless steel is the finest and most recommended material to be used by insulated lunch boxes since it is resistant to bacteria; this implies that no dangerous chemicals or germs can leach and get into the food carried for later consumption.
This makes steel the best possible material for lunch boxes, especially for young kids. Some insulated lunch boxes contain outer layers of polyester or nylon or a rigid plastic fabric that can withstand tear and stain; the inner layers are made of foil liners, vinyl, plastic, and aluminum, which helps to keep food fresh and dry.
Which Material Is Good For An Insulated Lunch Box?
Stainless steel-insulated lunch boxes are entirely made of steel, and the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. One of the advantages of steel is that it can easily be recycled.
This means steel is environmentally friendly, and if used correctly in manufacturing, it makes the environment habitable. Steel is also durable compared to plastic, steel products such as stainless steel insulated lunch boxes require little maintenance.
Stainless steel lunch boxes are chemical-free, environmentally safe, keep cold or hot food longer, own food fresh, are cost-effective, have the versatility of design, and are durable compared to plastic and glass lunch boxes. They are convenient packaging, resistant to bacteria and mold growth, portable, and immune to leakages.
One disadvantage of steel is that steel is an alloy of iron. It is susceptible to corrosion, but steel is permanently hardened with carbon; thus, erosion is significantly reduced.
Benefits Of Stainless Steel Insulated Lunch Box.
The ten advantages of using stainless steel insulated lunch boxes are as follows:
- Microwave safe. For anyone constantly looking for a standard microwave, possessing a lunch box that keeps your food warm will always be a treasure. Some people work long hours or shifts and don't have time to spare to go to a restaurant. This means they must rely entirely on steel-insulated lunch boxes to provide them with the ultimate solution.
- One-time investment. A stainless steel insulated lunch box is a one-time investment because we have glass lunchboxes prone to wear and tear issues. Plastic lunch boxes are not equally durable because of tear and wear. So if one decides to invest in a lunch box, one should go for a stainless steel insulated lunch box because of its quality, lightweight, and shelf life of a minimum of 10 years.
- Stainless steel is healthy; studies have shown that stainless steel is beneficial compared to plastic lunch boxes because there is no pealing of steel microelements to the fool compared to plastic lunch boxes.
- Stainless steel lunch boxes are leak-resistant; nobody will ever want to carry food in a leaking lunch box. A leaking lunch box is smelly and may be uncomfortable when opened in an office environment with no privacy. Customers should choose stainless steel lunch boxes because they are spill-free.
- Stainless steel lunch boxes are very light and portable contrary to a myth that says these boxes are heavy. It helps keep food fresh and the nutrients alive more for young growing kids going to school.
- Stainless steel lunch boxes are eco-friendly. Mainstream media from newspapers, Television, radio, and even the social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter are always awash with debates on environmental conservation and climate change. Many countries are struggling to phase out plastic by the end of this century, and treaties have already been signed.
- Stainless steel lunch box prevents the growth of bacteria. Studies have shown that when plastic lunch boxes are used over time, they develop a foul smell. Bacteria growth and mold growth are responsible for this smell because this two or invisible to the naked human eye.
How Long Do Lunch Bags Stay Cold & warm?
This question cannot be answered conclusively. There are so many dynamics to be considered before getting a conclusive answer. The time food can be stored cold or warm in an insulated lunch bag varies owing to the following factors; the outside environment temperature, the type of insulated lunch bag, and whether or not the food is frozen or heated when placed in the insulated lunch bag.
The rule of thumb states that without any addition of gel packs, the food kept in an insulated lunch bag should still be warm even after 2-3 hours, and if it was kept cold, meaning it is highly perishable like yogurt, it should last for about 4-5 hours.
But when the gel pack is incorporated, the shelf life will exceed 3-4 hours. All these will depend entirely on the surrounding temperature and the quality of the insulated lunch bag. Thus it is advisable to test your lunch bag before taking it outside.
Stainless Steel Insulated Lunch Boxes VS Plastic Insulated Lunch Box
Stainless steel-insulated lunch boxes are entirely made of steel, and the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
- One of the advantages of steel is that it can easily be recycled. This means steel is environmentally friendly, and if used correctly in manufacturing, it makes the environment habitable.
- Steel is also durable compared to plastic, steel products such as stainless steel insulated lunch boxes require little maintenance.
- One disadvantage of steel is that steel is an alloy of iron. It is susceptible to corrosion, but steel is permanently hardened with carbon; thus, erosion is significantly reduced.
Plastic lunch boxes are fully composed of plastic; according to studies, the negative aspects of plastic outweigh the positive aspects of plastic. Some advantages of employing plastic materials are as follows:
- Plastic materials provide high levels of convenience due to their low cost.
- Plastic materials are versatile, meaning they can be used for various purposes.
- Plastic products wrapped in plastic have a long shelf life. Plastic materials are also durable because they are generally non-biodegradable to environmental factors.
- Plastics are durable and widely used, and their processing has been refined.
- Plastic is not eco-friendly, causes environmental dumping, is non-renewable, and causes water pollution, air pollution, acid rain, and invisibility. It pollutes the oceans and causes global warming, soil contamination, public health issues, endangered species extinction, etc.
Generally, given the preceding explanation, it is apparent that stainless steel insulated lunch boxes are superior to plastic lunch boxes due to their eco-friendliness and durability.
Glass Vs. Stainless Steel Insulated Lunch Box
If one intends to avoid the usage of plastic lunch boxes, then there are two other lunch boxes that one can choose from: a glass-insulated lunch box and a stainless steel lunch box. Each lunch box has advantages and disadvantages that make it ideal for any appropriate circumstance.
Stainless steel lunch boxes are rising in popularity among many households for a good reason.
- The stainless steel lunch boxes are a durable material ideal for use in the kitchen and for storing food. This means that you may pack your lunch in these containers and transport them to almost any place, and both your stainless lunch box and your food will be safe.
- Some of the benefits of stainless steel lunch boxes include no chemical leaching, easy cleaning, extremely lightweight, secure lids that make spilling food extremely difficult, portability (making them easy to carry around), opaqueness (making them ideal for spices), and versatility (allowing them to be used in a variety of applications).
On the other hand, glass-insulated lunch boxes have a lot of quality and versatility. This implies that glass lunch boxes are better kept at home than taken to office environments.
The following are the unique features of glass lunch boxes; they are presentable on the table, recyclable, and microwave friendly, and glass lunch boxes are non-porous, meaning they are ant-bacterial.
However, when using glass lunch boxes, one needs to note how they are fragile; therefore, they need extra care in handling and maintaining them.
Equally important, lunch boxes are easy to maintain and convenient to use. It comes down to what type of lunch boxes will be used in what circumstance.
Many prefer steel lunch boxes when traveling outside the home, maybe to work environments or far from home, and some people prefer glass lunchboxes to be used at home or not far from home because of their fragile nature.
FAQs About Insulated Lunch Box
Which Insulated Lunch Box Is Best?
Preferences are divided: steel insulated lunch box is the most popular, followed by glass insulated lunch box and plastic insulated lunch box.
What’s The Best Lunch Box for Kids?
The best lunch box for kids has to be the steel compacted lunch box because it allows various food items to be carried without mixing. The compartments in the steel-compressed lunch box prevent the mixing of the food, and also, it is easier to open as a tiny amount of energy is required.
Is Stainless Steel Insulated Lunch Box Microwave Safe?
No, the Stainless steel insulated lunch box is not microwaved safely. Technically, the principle of operation of a microwave involves converting electrical energy waves to radio waves pegged at a frequency of 2.5GHz. Microwaves are present in the electromagnetic spectrum. They can interact with any food material placed in the microwave, making it vibrate at almost the same frequency of 2.5GHz.
The vibrations that are caused as a result of microwave radiation are the ones responsible for cooking the food material and not the electrical charge that is within the powered microwave. Microwaves are not supposed to affect metal items such as stainless steel insulated lunch boxes. Any metallic element cannot get any trace of electric charge coming from microwaves.
However, the metallic elements, including iron and stainless steel, reflect the microwave electromagnetic spectrum. One unique characteristic of stainless steel is that it has an outer layer that is chromium oxide that prevents it from corrosion. Except for chromium oxide, stainless steel is the same as regular steel. This means stainless steel; just like traditional steel, it reflects microwaves. The stainless steel lunch box at the bottom of a microwave will probably be unaffected by the microwaves.
Are our Stainless Steel Lunch Boxes Safe?
Yes, stainless steel lunch boxes are safe. Many technocrats and experts in the fast-moving consumer goods industry are at the forefront in advocating that stainless steel be used in food and beverage packaging because it is free from leaching compared to glass and plastic.
Equally, stainless steel is eco-friendly because it can be recycled. This notwithstanding, stainless steel is a renewable resource that is highly recyclable.
Contrary to plastic food containers, stainless steel lunch boxes are not only sturdy but also easy to clean. No contaminants are leached into the food in stainless steel lunch boxes. Stainless steel is an excellent choice for food and beverage storage because of this fundamental property.
Can You Put Metal Lunch Boxes In The Fridge?
Yes, you can put metal lunch boxes in the fridge. It is normal to store food in metal lunch boxes in the refrigerator.
To keep the food in the metal lunch box fresh, you must provide plenty of room on top of the container to expand. Meatloaf, pasta bakes, and other frozen foods can be defrosted in the fridge for 24 hours before heating them.
Why Put Insulated Lunch Boxes In Fridges?
An insulated lunch box should require refrigeration, especially when one doesn't intend to eat for two hours. This will keep the food fresh and safe. A lunch box full of dairy, meat, and other perishable food products should be kept in an insulated lunch box as soon as possible.
Do Stainless Steel Insulated Lunch Boxes Keep Food Cold?
Yes, stainless steel insulated lunch box keeps food cold. Using a modern stainless steel insulated lunch box, you can keep your food cold for six hours! Besides retaining heat, it also extends the shelf life of the food.